Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day 13 - Sheltie Nationals

Sorry about yesterday, got very busy, teaching, yardwork, training with Shine, etc. So, Shine and I were up early and headed south after a few espressos, me not Shine! Perry is my favorite location for a show and I have always had great success there and this time I felt that it would be no different! So, standard was first and Nancy Davis gave us a great course, with a very technical ending which I was very pleased to see, as I need that kind of work for WTT09. So, I watched several dogs run and knew that we would have no issues with the discrimination. It was a u-shaped tunnel and chute next to each other, so the dog saw the correct end of the tunnel and the chute entry at the same time on their approach. The dog should have been on the correct lead and path if you shorted up the exit of the teeter and started turning at the jump previous to the tunnel. Well after a great start, Shine decided to get super sticky on the contacts(note to self, don't train early releases for a dog that already knows his job! They just don't see the difference, then confusion) but the run was great and fast and we ended up taking 4th. Not bad for 6 seconds wasted on the contacts!

JWW was next and Carla B. had a wopper of a course for us. After a normal start with a pinwheel to a set of weaves, we then went into the work! As Jean L. said it was a lot of work! The short sweet version was there were 5 side switches with in the last 9 jumps! Yikes! So, after watching some great runs and making some final decisions I went to the line ready to run. One note, I was very nervous! Wow, have felt that way in years! I guess the pressure of the 2Q and the feel of a National was enough to push me to that point. Well, I am happy to report that I pulled it our with only one WIDE turn and several wide turns with a 2nd place and some serious confidence for WTT09. Also got some great feed back on training and handling needs for the next week and also know my analysis is right on. Need to really work on my Mental Management, back to Lanny and some serious DA self talk review. Well that is all for now, I really need some rest! TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment